1. On April 24, 2017, at approximately 8:30 pm in Taraza, Antioquia in the Maria Gaín neighborhood, the bodies of: Kellys Henao, 20 years old, Alberto Osorio, 33, and the youngest Marcela Osorio, 14, were found dead with signs of being brutally massacred inside their home. All of them are family members of Guillermo León Osorio, member of the FARC-EP who is located in the “Juan Carlos Castañeda” Transitional Local Zone for Normalizaiton.
2. The surviving relatives of these terrible events report that the perpetrators are suspected members of the paramilitary groups operating in the area, who stated that they will not stop “until they finish killing all the family”.
3. This case was brought to the attention of the monitoring, verification and oversight mechanisms mandated by the Final Peace Agreement and the competent authorities with the purpose of providing security measures to the surviving relatives and close ones. The authorities have expressed that "security cannot be given to the families because the Police Department in Tarazán has no budget and can only carry out the removal of corpses, nothing more”.
4. So far, the surviving relatives of Willson Adrian Tapias, a member of the FARC-EP located in the Transitional Zone of Carrizal continue to receive threats by the mentioned groups and don’t count with the timely and due protection by the National and Departamental Government. Consequently, measures for the persecution and investigation to the material and determinant authors of these events in order to bring them to justice have not been carried out.
5. The aforementioned events were preceded by the circulation of threatening fliers in the municipality of Tarazán according to information provided by surviving relatives and neighbors, in which the members of the FARC-EP and their families were mentioned and threatened.
1. On November 24, 2016, the National Government and the FARC-EP guerrilla signed the Final Agreement for the Termination of the Conflict and the Construction of a Stable and Lasting Peace.
2. In point 3.4 of the Final Agreement , it is established that there is a duty on the part of the Colombian State to provide full security guarantees and fight against the organizations and conducts inflicted by the organizations considered to be successors of paramilitarism.
3. To this date, the Colombian State -despite the necessity of an autonomous and independent body to investigate crimes committed by paramilitary organizations- has not implemented the Special Investigation Unit for the dismantling of criminal organizations and criminal behavior responsible for homicides and massacres that attempt against human rights defenders, social movements or political movements or that threaten or attack the people involved in the implementation of the agreements, among others.
4. In the last few weeks Dalmiro Cárdenas and Anselmo Cárdenas, brothers of Robinson Victorio who is a FARC-EP member currently held in the Chiquinquirá prison, have been kidnapped, tortured and beheaded by the paramilitary groups that operate in Choco. These events were preceded by the assassination in the Department of Nariño of Luis Alberto Ortiz, an active member of the FARC-EP and beneficiary of the Amnesty Law, who once in freedom was attacked with a firearm, causing his immediate death.
1. To urgently and immediately guarantee the rights to life and physical integrity of surviving relatives and victims who are in the municipality of Tarazán and who continue without any protection by the national and departmental authorities.
2. To the Office of the Attorney General and other competent authorities to investigate in an efficient, prompt and impartial manner these grave events that accounts the occurrence of a massacre.
3. To the Ombudsman's Office, the Office of the Inspector General, and other relevant authorities to verify the described events and promote the requests for security guarantees and protection of the rights of the affected victims.
4. To the monitoring, verification and follow-up mechanisms mandated by the Final Agreement, and in particular to the United Nations to investigate these events within the framework of the established for such purposes in the Agreement based on the fact that these events constitute a grave affectation to the Bilateral and Definitive Ceasefire subscribed between the National Government and the FARC-EP Guerilla.
5. To the National Government to urgently implement the guarantees mechanisms for protection and security established in the Final Peace Agreement.
We invite all social organizations and human rights organization, the living forces of civil society, and the various political and economic sectors to build a broad pact to mobilize us in the defense of the lives of all Colombians.
Central High Command of the FARC-EP