On November 2, 2016, Mrs. Bertha Lucía Fríes M. met with the Secretariat of the FARC-EP in Havana, Cuba on behalf of the group of victims of the attack on the El Nogal Club of Bogotá. The meeting took place as part of the advancement of current peace talks at the request of the FARC-EP with authorization from the Colombian State and United Nations.
At the meeting, Mrs. Fries expressed with much detail and clarity the reason for her participation and wrote a petition on behalf of a section of the victims of the attack on the El Nogal Club that took place on February 7, 2003.
After analyzing the petition, the Secretariat of the FARC-EP and Mrs. Fríes agreed the following:
- The FARC-EP are committed to organizing a public act of truth, forgiveness, and reconciliation with the victims of the attack on the El Nogal Club in Bogotá.
- The FARC-EP will appear before the Commission of the Truth with the victims and others to clarify what occurred at the El Nogal Club on February 7, 2003.
- The FARC-EP will seek tools to accelerate the implementation of the Special Peace Jurisdiction, for the purpose of clarifying the truth about the events that occurred in the attack on the El Nogal Club in Bogotá in order to provide the victims with justice, reparations and their right to the truth.
- The FARC-EP is willing to submit the truth that they know about the events that occurred on February 7, 2003, within the Special Jurisdiction for Peace (JEP). The representatives determined by the FARC-EP are willing to appear before the Commission of Clarification of the Truth and before the committee of Recognition of Truth and of Responsibilities of the JEP in order to clarify any facts related to the attack to the El Nogal Club of Bogotá.
- The FARC-EP will declare the truth and will recognize the responsibilities that fall within the framework of Early Accountability.
- The FARC-EP will ensure that the victims directly participate in the entire implementation process of said agreements in matters related to truth, justice, and reparations.
- The FARC-EP expresses their willingness to implement and participate in a process of Reconciliation with Values with all the victims of the attack on the El Nogal Club.
Carlos Antonio Lozada
Delegation of Peace
Secretariat of the FARC-EP
Bertha Lucía Fríes M.
Spokeswoman and Leader of El Nogal Club, victims group
Bogotá, March 28, 2017.