General Agreement for the Termination of the Conflict and the Construction of a Stable and Lasting Peace
The delegates of the Government of the Republic of Colombia (National Government) and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia-People’s Army (FARC-EP);
As a result of the Exploratory Meeting in Havana, Cuba, between February, 23 and August 26, 2012, and which counted on the participation of the Government of the Republic of Cuba and the Government of Norway as guarantors, and with the support of the Government of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela as facilitator of logistics and companion;
With the mutual decision of putting an end to the conflict as an essential condition for the constitution of stable and lasting peace;
Attending the clamor of the population for peace, and recognizing that:
The construction of peace is an issue of the society as a whole that requires the participation of everybody, without distinction, including other guerrilla organizations which we invite to join this proposal;
Respect for human rights in every corner of the national territory is a state purpose that should be promoted;
Economic development with social justice and in harmony with the environment is a guarantee of peace and progress.
Social development with equality and well-being, including the majorities, allows us to grow as a country;
A Colombia in peace will play an active and sovereign role in regional and global peace and development.
It is important to amplify democracy as a condition to achieve solid bases for peace;
With the full disposition of the National Government and the FARC-EP to reach an agreement, and the invitation to the entire Colombian society, as well as organisms of regional integration and the international community, to accompany this process;
We have agreed:
- To initiate direct and uninterrupted conversations about the points of the Agenda established here, with the purpose of reaching a Final Agreement for the termination of the conflict that will contribute to stable and lasting peace.
- To establish a Table of Conversations that will be installed publicly (in the first two weeks of October 2012) in Oslo, Norway, and whose main site will be Havana, Cuba. The Table could have meetings in other countries.
- To guarantee the effectiveness of the process and conclude the work about the points of the agenda expeditiously and in the least amount of time possible, to fulfill the expectations of the society concerning the agreement. In any case, the duration will be subject to periodic evaluations of progress.
- To develop the conversations with the support of the governments of Cuba and Norway as guarantors and the governments of Venezuela and Chile as accompanying countries. In accordance with the needs of the process and by agreement, others could be invited.
- The following Agenda:
1. Comprehensive agricultural development policy
Comprehensive agricultural development is crucial to boost the integration of the regions and the equitable social and economic development of the country.
1. Access and use of land. Wastelands. Formalization of property. Agricultural border and protection of reserve zones.
2. Programs of development with a territorial focus.
3. Infrastructure and land improvement.
3. Social development: health, education, housing, eradication of poverty.
5. Stimulus to agricultural production and the economy of solidarity and cooperation. Technical assistance. Subsidies. Credit. Generation of income. Marketing. Labor formalization.
6. Food security system.
2. Political participation
1. Rights and guarantees for the exercise of the political opposition in general and in particular for the new movements that arise after the signing of the Final Agreement. Access to the media.
2. Democratic mechanisms of citizen participation, including those of direct participation, on different levels and diverse themes.
3. Effective measures to promote greater participation in the national, regional and local policy of all sectors, including the most vulnerable population, equality of conditions and with guarantees of security.
3. End of the conflict
Integral and simultaneous process which implies:
1. Bilateral and definitive cease of fire and hostilities.
2. Abandonment of arms. Reincorporation of the FARC-EP into civil life – economically, socially and politically -, in accordance with their interests.
3. The National Government will coordinate the revision of the situation of individuals, charged or convicted, for belonging to or collaborating with the FARC-EP.
4. Parallel, the national government will intensify the fight to end the criminal organizations and their support networks, including the fight against corruption and impunity, in particular against any organization responsible for homicides and massacres or that undermines human rights defenders, social movements or political movements.
5. The National Government will revise and make the reforms and institutional adjustments necessary to address the challenges of the construction of peace.
6. Guarantees of security.
7. Under the provisions of Point 5 (Victims) of this agreement, the issue of paramilitarism, among others, will be clarified.
The signing of the Final Agreement initiates this process, which must develop in a reasonable time agreed by the parties.
4. Solution to the problem of illicit drugs
1. Illicit crop substitution programs. Integral development plans with participation of the communities in the design, execution and evaluation of the programs of substitution and environmental recovery of the areas affected by illicit crops.
2. Prevention programs of consumption and public health.
3. Solution to the phenomenon of production, consumption and public health.
To compensate the victims is in the center of the agreement National Government – FARC-EP. In this sense they will treat:
1. Human rights of the victims.
6. Implementation, verification and countersignature
The signing of the Final Agreement begins the implementation of all of the agreed points.
1. Mechanisms of implementation and verification:
a. System of implementation, with special importance for the regions.
b. Commissions of monitoring and verification.
c. Mechanisms of resolution of conflicts.
These mechanisms will have the capacity and executive power, and will be conformed by representatives of the parts and of society, as appropriate.
2. International accompaniment
5. Tools of dissemination and communication.
6. Mechanism of countersignature of the agreements.
VI. The following operating rules:
- In the sessions of the Table up to 10 people will participate per delegation, of which up to 5 will be plenipotentiaries who will carry the respective voice. Every delegation will be made up of up to 30 representatives.
- With the end of contributing to the development of the process they can realize consultations of experts about the themes of the Agenda, once the corresponding procedure is sorted.
- To guarantee the transparency of the process, the Table will elaborate periodic reports.
- A mechanism will be established to make public the advances of the Table. The discussions of the Table will not be made public.
- A strategy of effective diffusion will be implemented.
- To guarantee the broadest participation possible, there will be established a mechanism of reception of proposals about the points of the agenda of citizens and organizations, by physical or electronic means. By mutual agreement and at some specific moment, the Table can make direct consultations and receive proposals about the points mentioned, or delegate to a third party the organization of spaces of participation.
- The National Government will guarantee the necessary resources for the Table to work, that will be administered in an efficient and transparent manner.
- The Table will have the necessary technology for the process to advance.
- The conversations will initiate with the point of integral agricultural development policy and will continue with the order the Table agrees on.
- The conversations will be hold under the principle that nothing is agreed until everything is agreed.
Signed on the 26th of August 2012 in Havana, Cuba.